Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> At 12:48 PM +0200 6/9/02, Anton Berezin wrote:
> >On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 02:14:09PM -0400, Trish Lynch wrote:
> >
> >  > Anton, if you don;t get around to it this weekend, mind
> >  > if I take a stab at it?
> >
> >No, I don't mind at all.  If only we can agree who does what.  :-(
> RPI has been running with something like the perl wrapper on our
> systems for many years.  It can be very useful, if it's done
> right.  My fear is that everyone is hoping for some quick fix
> (something as quick as creating a symlink), and does not want
> to really think about what we want from this wrapper.

And yet, with the use.perl script installed as part of the port, we can
provide a solution that IS, "as quick as creating a symlink." tobez and
I were discussing it some last night, and we have an idea for just
automatically doing the right thing for -current systems that have no
perl installed.

I agree that for users who want perl, we should have a /usr/bin/perl
that "just works." I also agree that more thought needs to go into what
form that takes.

   "We have known freedom's price. We have shown freedom's power.
      And in this great conflict, ...  we will see freedom's victory."
        - George W. Bush, President of the United States
          State of the Union, January 28, 2002

         Do YOU Yahoo!?