On  3 Jul, Peter Wemm wrote:
> Chuck Robey wrote:

>     on
>> >
>> > There is but _1_ dual system to get -- Tyan Thunder K7 (code name Guinness)
>     .
>> > http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk7.html.  It comes in multiple
>> > flavors, but mine is the dual-channel Ultra160, dual-3com 10/100, 5-64bit
>> > PCI, 1 AGP version.  You can cheap out and not get the non-SCSI S2462NG
>> > model.  Match this bad-boy up with a pair of fast Athlon `MP' (not `XP')
>> > CPU's and it is a totally solid system.  Various FreeBSD committers also
>> > have this system.
>> >
>> > There is a newer [more economic] version called the Thunder K7X.
>> > http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk7x.html
>>
>> "more economic" is a poor way to describe it, seeing as it has all the
>> features, plus (1) an updated version of the AMD mp chipset and (2) a
>> fixed onboard usb port.  The K7 had a broken on-board usb (the AMD
>> chipset had a PCI contention bug for the usb port, so the tin back panel
>> of the board blocked out the usb, and the K7 came with a PCI usb card,
>> which ate up one of your PCI slots.  The K7X has a repaired on-board usb,
>> so you get that PCI slot back.
>
> Hmmmmm.....  Do you have any details on this?  I've had occasional strange
> USB-related things happen on this box.  Of course, it runs -current which
> puts me into the USB danger-zone enough as it is.. but what happens when
> this bug is triggered?

Sorry it took so long, the web site I originally found it on has
apparently disappeared.  This link, however, describes the problem
neatly:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/24472.pdf

Chuck Robey         | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.