On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 07:44:56AM +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Some time ago Scott Long pointed out to me that ccd has less
> > overhead than vinum
>
> It does?

The actual tests showed a very little improvement in a few cases, so
I must admit that it made really no difference for bare striping. I
have no evidence (not being a programmer), but I believe that ccd
is lightweight compared to vinum, even considering only striping.
That, and the time of ccd being around compared to vinum, means
probably fewer bugs and better suitability for bare striping.
That's my personal opinion and I will rely also on other far more
knowledgeable person opinion in this particular case. To be fair I
believe that vinum striping and mirroring capabilities are fully
usable and proven also. I have personal experience which backs this,
not that it'll matter much to anybody else. Vinum R5 is broken and
I've lost interest over the years of trying to make use of it. No
complaints to you, I do understand that paid work is what makes
living.

> > and is better suited for bare striping.
>
> It is?
> I'd be interested in details.