On Sunday,  6 October 2002 at 11:30:16 -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     Yes, ccd is fairly light weight.  'man tuning' and 'man ccd' has
>     a lot of information on how to use it.  I generally recommend
>     using a stripe size of 1152 for multitasking loads.

Sectors?  Why particularly this value?

>     Only use a small/tiny stripe size if you need single-tasking
>     sequential performance (and even then you can take tune the
>     stripe to the drive's own caching capability).
>
>     The biggest mistake most people make when using striping is that
>     they use too small a stripe size which causes nearly every read() or
>     write() to have to be split across multiple drives, which multiplies
>     the overhead, or causes sequential reads of medium sized files to
>     constantly seek multiple drives, destroying the effectiveness of having
>     two seekable heads in the first place.

Pretty much exactly what I preach.  One disadvantage of large stripes
is that they require careful coding to optimize.  I haven't looked at
ccd, but I know a lot of cheap hardware RAID arrays always read an
entire stripe at a time, which requires more memory and takes longer.
Have you checked ccd for this?

Greg