Matthew> On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, David Gilbert wrote:
>> As I understand, NBD is just a little driver that lets you mount
>> foo:/dev/ad0s1g over the network and proxies the block transactions
>> across.

Matthew> Right, you still have to stripe/mirror on the client side
Matthew> though.  I don't think it will be all that bad.

Matthew> Any chance of you testing Linux NBD and FreeBSD
Matthew> NFS/vnconfig/CCD?

it doesn't work that way.  the result of NBD is a /dev/nbd0 not a
filesystem.  Block 0 of /dev/nbd0 is block 0 of /dev/hda1 (say).  nbd
runs as a server on the node with the disk and as a client on the node
using the disk.  Yes, you still stripe on the client side... but you
stripe across directly mapped block devices (no NFS involved).

Dave.