In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, David Gilbert writes:

>phk> NBD wouldn't be hard to implement on FreeBSD, the easiest way
>phk> would be to write two GEOM modules to do it: a client and a
>phk> server.
>
>phk> No, I don't have time to do that right now, but I will happily
>phk> guide anybody who wants to try.
>
>I would be interested in knowing what you think would be required
>... and some pointers.  This sounds like a task I could bite off.

First, find out what protocol you will use.  If nothing else stay
compatible with Linux (at least as an option if what they use suck
too much).

Then write a userland server and client so you have something to
test against.

Then write the kernel-client.  There are two bits of this, one is
the network part, one is the GEOM part.

Julian proposed using netgraph for the network part, I'm not sure
I agree with that idea, I think it would be more efficient to just
make a kthread and go directly on the socket.  I can't see what
netgraph would add in this case, except a lot of code doing nothing
but getting in the way.

Once your kernel client can actually send a request and receive
the reply, we will tack it onto GEOM.

>From there I expect doing the kernel server is pretty much the
same, just the other way around :-)

[EMAIL PROTECTED]         | TCP/IP since RFC 956