Andrey V. Elsukov wrote:
Paolo Pisati wrote:
On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 09:21:11AM +0000, Vadim Goncharov wrote:
Yes, this is useful, but some minor changes are needed, I think. First, rename it to "bytelimit" or somewhat. Second, allow this to use tablearg and possibly ability to reference a counter to corresponding dynamic rule, to allow this to act for a specific IP or connection without need to write many rules. Third, add packet counter as well. That's all possible with one opcode, though...

if anyone post an updated patch, i'll commit it.

So, updated patch is here:
http://butcher.heavennet.ru/patches/kernel/ipfw/ipfw_counterlimit.diff

Now this option divided into two "counterlimit-bytes" and
"counterlimit-packets".
Rules example:
add allow ip from any to 10.0.0.1 counterlimit-bytes 100M \
    in recv external_if
add allow ip from any to 10.0.0.1 counterlimit-pakets 50 \
    in recv external_if

About Vadim's prepositions:
1. tablearg: it's possible, but now we use u32 argument in
tables, but counterlimits are 64-bits values. First of we
should extend our current table argument to 64 bit.

tables should be expanded to have different types of values..
32 but ints
IP addresses (currently I'm overlaying it on 32 bit ints)
IPV6 addresses.
skipto locations
byte limits..

2. dynamic rules: i think it should be implemented as extension
to current O_LIMIT opcode or something similar.

Also i have question about my current implementation. Does it
needed to have ability of "humanized" printing of limits, which
was implemented before?