On 10/08/2017 16:21, Glen Barber wrote:
>> * Since we have no mechanism of properly merging changes to /etc
>> we simply copy files as needed with pc-updatemanager, and it is
>> difficult to maintain what should be updated, merged, or removed.
>>
> This is another long-standing item in the list of things to fix, indeed.

The idea floated at BSDCam was to have a package that would install a
pristine copy of the /etc files under /var/db/etcupdate and prompt the
user to then use that tool to update or install their configs.  That
should provide a nice compromise between having the files available from
pkgs and not enforcing a specific mechanism (tools, not policy) to
update /etc.

        Cheers,

        Matthew