On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 at 11:35 pm, Matthew Seaman <matt...@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 10/08/2017 16:21, Glen Barber wrote:
> >> * Since we have no mechanism of properly merging changes to /etc
> >> we simply copy files as needed with pc-updatemanager, and it is
> >> difficult to maintain what should be updated, merged, or removed.
> >>
> > This is another long-standing item in the list of things to fix, indeed.
>
> The idea floated at BSDCam was to have a package that would install a
> pristine copy of the /etc files under /var/db/etcupdate and prompt the
> user to then use that tool to update or install their configs.  That
> should provide a nice compromise between having the files available from
> pkgs and not enforcing a specific mechanism (tools, not policy) to
> update /etc.

I haven't attended either of the conferences, and I'm sure this would have
been discussed, but for those of us who weren't there:

Pkgng has 3-way merge capability (copied from fossil-scm in pkg 1.4.0). Why
are we considering using it? Not having ever seen this functionality used,
I would have thought the only things to do would be agree on where the
pristine old copy would be stored (.sample files in /etc?) and perhaps
improve pkgng if the user experience isn't satisfactory.

Regards,
Ben

From: Benjamin Woods
woods...@gmail.com