Hi Andy,

I am sorry for the trouble you have had with Windows XP.

I suggest that you use Linux, as FreeBSD really is not targeted at
people who want to use graphical user interfaces.
The linux developers really have been trying to make a valuable
replacement for Windows, as they somehow have experienced the same
issues with Windows (And Microsoft products in general) that you have.

One Linux distribution in particular that I think you might like, is
Ubuntu. You can download it at http://www.ubuntulinux.org/, or order a
CD (Free shipping, free CD, you pay nothing).