On Fri, 2002-12-27 at 15:32, Gerard Samuel wrote:
> Im not really sure when the problem began, but I believe it was after
> upgrading to 4.7-RELEASE-p2.
> 2 of the boxes running 4.7-RELEASE-p2 which are also running with Intel
> Pro 10/100B/100+ Ethernet cards,
> are getting numerous timeouts in the logs.
>
> fxp0: device timeout
>
> When connecting to these boxes, the connections are sluggish, to the
> point where I can type faster, that the command line can display.
> All boxes are connected on a 100Mb network via an SMC EZ-Switch SMC
> 6308TX switch.
> The only thing that has changed in months, is software versions.
> The problem seems sporadic.  Can't seem to find out how or what is
> causing the problem.
>
> Is/was there a problem with the fxp drivers, or can someone direct me as
> to how one goes about to debug this problem.
>
> Thanks for any info you may provide...

Hi Gerard,
   If you connect to the box via ssh, then you might want to try using
the "-v" switch to ssh so as to get a more verbose output when
connecting.

It should display evidence as to where in the connection any delays are
occurring as far as your sluggish connectivity is concerned.

Do the cards themselves produce any information for you? Post some stats
from the nics as returned from:-

netstat -in
netstat -s
netstat -m

At the least, you could try "bouncing" (ifconfig down / ifconfig up) the
interfaces if the situation degrades dramatically.

Hope this helps.

Stacey

--
Stacey Roberts