On Fri, 2002-12-27 at 19:31, Gerard Samuel wrote:
> [...]
> >respective Oerr counts being 0 each - translation: the nics are fine as
> >they are able to send all packets okay. Its only in receiving data that
> >they're returning errors on the link.
> >
> >I'd suggest that you have a look at the switch itself as well. I know
> >that this is a desktop switch (read non-enterprise) that is different to
> >most others in this class as its got *no* cooling fans (hence that bump
> >on the top). As such, depending on how you hammer this device, there is
> >the chance of it over-heating. This, of course, is also dependant on
> >where its actually located as well.
> >
> >It does have some link / speed / duplex indicator LED's on the front
> >that can be useful. As well as checking the cabling into the switch, see
> >if swapping the cables to available ports (except the uplink partner!)
> >and see if this makes any difference.
> >
> >I remember one of the guys on my team at work got the Linksys peer to
> >this switch and rubbished it within 3 weeks due to the switch locking up
> >under sustained (4+ hours) heavy load transfers at his section lan
> >point.
> >
> >Let us know how you get on, and what new information you might have for
> >us.
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Stacey
> >

> I've had this switch running pretty much non-stop since last Feburary.
>  Its been great for my needs thus far.  One of the boxes is running
> Samba/CVS/www, and it sees quite a bit of traffic.  Whether its on its
> last leg, that remains to be seen.
> Better get on the phone with tech support before they close for the weekend.
> But I still think its cables.  Because Im writing this email from a
> laptop thats also connected to the switch, and here are its details ->
> {gsam@laptop}-{~} > ifconfig ed1                                [27 Dec
> 2:22pm]
> ed1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         inet 192.168.0.5 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
>         ether 00:50:ba:7a:f0:a3
>         media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
>         status: active
>
> {gsam@laptop}-{~} > netstat -in                                 [27 Dec
> 2:15pm]
> Name  Mtu   Network       Address            Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts Oerrs
> Coll
> lo0   16384 <Link#1>                             0     0        0
> 0     0
> lo0   16384 127           127.0.0.1              0     -        0
> -     -
> ed1   1500  <Link#2>    00:50:ba:7a:f0:a3    44116     6    35805
> 0     0
> ed1   1500  192.168.0     192.168.0.5        44049     -    35773
> -     -
>
> No errors there.  Maybe, Ill just make up some new cables, make sure, no
> "wall warts" are near them, and see how it goes over the weekend.
> If its still problematic, then Ill get the switch replaced.

Actually, there *are* 6 occurrences under Ierrs here :-(

Seeing that you're actually on that switch (using a different port to
the other FBSD boxes referenced earlier), then I'd also look hard that
the uplink cabling as well - seeing that would be the one length of wire
that's common to all hosts off the switch.

Good luck with this anyways.., Oh the joys of making patch cable!!!!!

Regards,

Stacey

--
Stacey Roberts