Doug Hardie wrote:

I have a number of servers that are reaching end of life. They are over 7 years old and I can no longer find IDE drives that work with the slower controllers they have. These are all towers and use ASUS motherboards. Those were quite cheap at the time and the boards
have worked very well over the years.  However, I am
now hearing rumers that ASUS motherboards are no
longer the best quality and probably should be avoided. Don't need much on the machines, but do have to have
2 NICs and a SCSI controller on each.  What are good,
rock solid, motherboards with FreeBSD 6.0?

> John Cruz wrote:

> I have to recommend MSI. I haven't run BSD on one yet
> but they have always given me great performance and
> reliability over time. They're not the cheapest, but I'd still
> rather have a low-end MSI board then the most expensive
> Abit or PC Chips board

Interesting.  I've not used a great many MSI boards,
that's "Micro-Star International", but I'm sitting on
one ATM.  It "feels" cheap, but it runs quite well enough,
considering it's FAMP devel/app server, LAN gateway/DNS,
FTP server, and my desktop.
I've pretty much given up on SOYO for reasons I can't
even really remember ... I *think* it had to do with their
phone support and return policy; I've several dead older
SOYO boards in some drawer around here, a couple of
which were DOA at the time, IIRC.

OP:  2 NICS no issue here on older MSI board; also, this
is the third "motherboard" thread this month (not
complaining, but you can find more advice in the
archives, perhaps.)

Kevin Kinsey

--
The days are all empty and the nights are unreal.