On May 15, 2006, at 2:15 AM, Nikolas Britton wrote:

I have an older 440MX based laptop that I'm fairly sure FreeBSD won't
like, I don't want to run windows on this box... so I'm looking for a
Linux distro that has a ports like system.

I need KDE, X.org, and a 2.6 kernel installed by default... dammit...
I don't want to #$%! with Linux, maybe I'll give FreeBSD another try
first, anyways, thanks for the suggestions guys.

I've heard that Gentoo's package management system "Portage" is inspired by FreeBSDs ports, but I believe it's a bit of work to install and compile a working system.

I've been using Debian based Kubuntu on my laptop, and find the package management excellent. The installation and maintenance is easy. It's my choice when I want to install and go.