On 6/21/06, Ted Mittelstaedt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]

[deleted]

>   What can we, as a community, due to improve this situation?

Simple.  If you want to run RAID-5 then purchase the HiPoint card or
the 3ware card, both of them come with manufacturer-written drivers.
3ware is really great, they have a developer with committ rights and
they just stick their driver right into the FreeBSD source repository.

s/HiPoint/HighPoint/ a.k.a HighPoint Technologies, Inc. or simply HPT.

I have two HighPoint controllers and like them both:
FreeBSD 6.1/i386 + HPT2220 + 8x250GB.
FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE/amd64 + HPT1820A + 8x300GB.

Areca also supports FreeBSD:
$ man arcmsr (FreeBSD 5.4+)
http://www.areca.com.tw

My next controller will probably be from Areca because they support
RAID level 6 and have multi-lane connectors... maybe ARC-1130ML +
12x500GB. Does anyone know what SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) RAID
controllers are supported by FreeBSD?, they can use SATA drives
correct?

--
BSD Podcasts @:
http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/