On 6/25/06, Marc G. Fournier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'm currently weighing options ... my last two servers were HP Proliant,
and I *really* like them, but I might have a line on a supplier in Panama
that deals in Dell Servers and not HP ...

Looking at Dell's web site, the PowerEdge has an optional "Remote Access
Controller" that will it *sounds* like will give me similar functionality
as HPs iLO ...

But, I've heard bad things about their 'desktop offerings', and am not
sure if that follows through to their "Servers" ...

So, I'm kinda looking for both good, and bad, experiences with the
PowerEdge stuff ... anyone with opinions?

I recently quit from a 4 year job on an ISP with around 300 Dell
machines (almost all server models), some older Compaq (Proliant 3000)
and recently, about 1 year, some IBM.
During this time I found out this:
- Compaq Proliant 3000: Failed Power supplys occasionaly. Failed
SmartArrays after a
reboot.
When we called in with something failed, not many questions were
asked, they send the part with no problems.

- IBM Dual Xeons, Quad Xeons, Xeon and Opteron Blades, and Power5: 3
racks full of machines and had 1 server dead at arrival, 1 FC card
dead after some months and nothing else failed!
Support was miserable but it wasn't from IBM.

- Dell: we had almost all models and all had problems. Power supplys,
memory, motherboards, fans. Disks, well guess that's not Dell's fault.
I remember the 6450 model, a quad Xeon that had a plastic door. If you
close the door with some speed, nothing ridiculous, the server would
shutdown. They were usually clustered, neat hein?
Dell support even at the highest level is a pain. You hear something
like: Customer: we have a problem with a blade server. Support: Please
disconnect the power from the machine and connect again. Customer: But
that will powerdown ALL the blades!
Eventually the contract was raised from Silver and Gold to Platinum on
all machines so that we could skip the normal support lines...

I had a small stop on a bank last month and they work exclusively with
HP, around 3500 servers.
Major problems were with disks and some powersupplys and I think dead
drives are to be expected.
Onboard iLOs rock!!!
Coming from Dell Hell I was pretty impressed with HP's machines.

If I ever am in a position to choose, I'd go with either HP or IBM,
although HP seems to have a stronger Opteron offer.

--
Joao Barros