It seems that dovecot wins the votes - but does it support virtual domains?
I think it does not, but I do not need it. I can use postfix and mydestination, virtual_maps. This is enough for me.
Any tips on migration?
Yes, it looks easy. I created these namespaces in dovecot.conf:

namespace private {
   separator = /
   inbox = yes
   hidden = yes
   prefix = "#mbox/"
   location = mbox:/home/%u:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
}

namespace private {
   separator = /
   prefix = "oldsystem/"
   location = mbox:/home/%u
}

namespace private {
   separator = /
   prefix =
   location = maildir:/home/%u/Maildir
}

The first one allows the old mbox format inbox to be used from "/var/mail/username". (I could have recompiled procmail in order to deliver to maildir...) The second one allow the users to view their old mbox style folders. They can move the messages to the new maildir format, if they wish. (Drag and drop in thunderbird...) Later I can delete the old mbox folders. The third one is the default namespace (without name) and it has the new maildir format.

Best,

  Laszlo