You must have missed the begning of this thread (before it got snipped
anyway).  I did that.  Exactly as you suggested.  This was of course the
first thing I did.  I also read man newaliases, and every other relevant
man page I could find.  I also tried putting a .forward file in root's
home directory with my external email address in it.

> Hi!
>
> > I am having trouble redirecting root's email to an external email
> > account.  This is a 4.7-Release box with not very
> modifications done
> > to the standard installation.
>
> > When I look at /var/spool/clientmqueue, it is full of
> messages.  Here
> > is a snippet of one:
>
> > MDeferred: Operation timed out with localhost.visimation.com.
>
> I'm not a big Sendmail expert or anything, but do you even
> have the MTA process running? Can you successfully telnet
> localhost.visimation.com port 25? What sendmail related lines
> do you have in /etc/rc.conf?
> --
> Toomas Aas | [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
> http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
> * All wiyht.  Rho sritched
> mg kegboawd awound?

Telnet to port 25 of localhost.visimation.com works.  In my /etc/rc.conf
the only entry I have for sendmail is:
sendmail_enable="YES"

Thanks for the help.  This is really frusrating me. :(

Adam