On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, bobmc wrote:

After KDE is installed, "startx" still launches the twm default
X manager.  Diligent RTFM only tells me it should work once the
Xserver is configured for the video hardware and monitor.

I have:
        export LANG=en_AU.UTF-8
        exec startkde
as the last lines in my ~/.xinitrc file. There's a few other lines to do with my Vietnamese keyboard input, but that's it.

Cheers,

Rob Hurle