Thank you, it still did not connect using that. The mail server is a
SMTP server. Also I copied over my host's resolve.conf file.

With all these hassles/headaches, would it be better/more secure for
me to settup Bochs or QEmu running a virtual BSD server?

Thanks,
-Jim Stapleton

On 2/23/07, Jonathan Chen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 01:49:25AM +0000, Jim Stapleton wrote:
> oops, did a reply instead of reply all, sorry.
>
> My question was "what's the best way to test net connectivity in jail,
> csup?", and i did try csup (using a copy of my standard ports
> supfile), it failed:
>
> %csup -g -L 2 /etc/supfile-ports
> Parsing supfile "/etc/supfile-ports"
> Connecting to cvsup12.FreeBSD.org
> Name lookup failure for "cvsup12.FreeBSD.org": hostname nor servname
> provided, or not known
> Will retry at 20:52:12

You need to set up the jail's /etc/resolv.conf to query a suitable
DNS. If you want to check connectivity from within the jail to out,
you could always "telnet mail-server-ip 25". To check connectivity in,
you could try enabling the jail's sendmail server...

Hope this helps.
--
Jonathan Chen                      |      To do is to be  -- Nietzsche
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                 |      To be is to do  -- Sartre