On 5/2/07, Ted Mittelstaedt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Victor Engmark
> On 5/2/07, Ted Mittelstaedt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> The computer in the LCD panel takes the video input at a range of
refresh
> > rates, and converts it to a bitmapped image that is fed to the display
> > crystals.  You can use whatever horizontal and vertical refresh rates
> > you want, as long as they are in the table that the LCD panel's
computer
> > can decode, the resulting output is the same.
>
> Even though LCD displays don't flicker, it's useful to set the refresh
as
> high as the panel is able to display, to get smooth transitions.

Try different rates, I think you will find that once you get above 70 Hz
you won't be able to see any difference.

But then my card / screen may be fried.

And the human eye cannot see distinct pictures at refresh rates beyond about
30-40 frames per second.  You may see flicker, but the human eye cannot
even
distinguish that, much beyond 65-70Hz.

http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm - Interesting
reading in that respect. Screens still have a long way to go.

The rest of the mail looks like trolling, so I'll just leave those parts
alone. I only need one of the following three:

  - Reference documentation where the capabilities of my screen is
  explained.
  - A working method for finding this information on my own.
  - A good explanation for why I should ignore the X.org warnings.

--
Victor Engmark
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur - What is said in Latin, sounds