On May 9, 2007, at 8:34 PMMay 9, 2007, Gary Kline wrote:

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 07:18:52PM -0500, Eric Crist wrote:

Gary,

Most cards that might come with DVI output instead of the standard
VGA output usually include at least one DVI-VGA adapter, an
additional one could be purchased at most computer retailers or your
local Radio Shack.

HTH

        It does help, thanks, Eric.  I may have missed the cord adaptor
        that was stuck in the box.  Need help to open/check.  Meanwhile,
        I need to look at the specs for this Dell 8200 to see what kind
        of card is in there.  What's there is a jack with two rows of
        sockets.  I'm guessing this is the standard Dell "DVI" connector,
        yes, no, other? :-)

        Also, in your opinion, since I'm not a gamer and just want to
        display at extreme most 1600x1200, do I need anything seriously
        upscale?  I've seen and skipped past lots of questions about lots
        of drivers.  So let's say that I went totally ape and bought some
        AGP card with 256M of memory:: do we have a driveer for those
        kinds of very high end cards?

        thanks again,

        gary

        PS:  Does anybody know of a website that 'splains VGA, SVGA,
             EVGA, and all the rest?  I've been seriously guilty of being
             lazy; I'm fessing up!  ....

Gary,

A DVI connector has 3 rows of 8 pins and a set of 4 hole is a box shape next to it:

+------------------------+
|  o o o o o o o o  o|o  |
|  o o o o o o o o --+-- |
 \ o o o o o o o o  o|o /

There's also a mini-DVI format that's kinda like this:

| o o o o o o o o||
| o o o o o o o o||

I'm sure you know what a VGA connector looks like, so I won't draw that for you. ;)

At work, we're using the GeForce 7600 GS AGP cards, which have 256MB of RAM and dual DVI output. We're using the FreeBSD Binary driver (available in ports) and running dual monitors with full Open GL support pretty seamlessly. I'd recommend that setup to anyone. It's a feature called Twinview which allows your desktop to span multiple monitors, and most programs that support xinerama(sp?) are 'aware' of the physical border between monitors, so you don't end up with windows popping up spanning both monitors. (i.e. maximize doesn't cross both monitors, just one).

HTH

Eric Crist