Sam Lawrance wrote:

On 13/05/2007, at 6:15 PM, Matthew Seaman wrote:

Sam Lawrance wrote:

On 12/05/2007, at 8:59 PM, Matthew Seaman wrote:

David Landgren wrote:

I have a disk that has only FreeBSD on it, and so I would like to skip
the initial F1/FreeBSD prompt. boot0cfg -v ad0 says:

options=nopacket,update,nosetdrv
default_selection=F1 (Slice 1)

... what do I have to do to say JFDI instead of prompting? This is not
the sort of thing I want to fiddle around experimenting, so a little
guidance would be most appreciated.

fdisk -B -b /boot/mbr /dev/ad0

You installed the FreeBSD boot sector stuff, which gives you the 'press
F1'  business.  Replace that with the standard mbr, which just boots
straight up.

Rather than replacing it, you can use boot0cfg to set a really short
timeout instead; in case you might want that functionality one day.

Heh.  It's not like you only get one chance to rewrite the boot blocks
on any particular drive. If anyone needs to (re-)install the FreeBSD boot
blocks, then you can do very simply it by:

   boot0cfg -B -b /boot/boot0 /dev/ad0

or even

   fdisk -B -b /boot/boot0 /dev/ad0

Or if you need to boot from a serial console you can change /boot/boot0
to /boot/boot0sio

Sure, but why get rid of it, when leaving it in with a short timeout costs you nothing.

A fair point, but in this particular case, FreeBSD is the only thing on the drive, and likely to remain that way until the disk dies of mechanical failure. I just don't need that prompt, especially the annoying beep it makes.

David