> I have a text file on the Squid proxy which contains a list of blocked
> sites, which I include below.  Only a technically astute user would be
> able to bypass this setup. S1ince this would require very deliberate and
> complicated steps, such as setting up a VPN tunnel through SSL, this would
> be clear grounds for termination.

I wouldn't fire an employee for doing that, I'd move them to the IT security
department...

The problem with blocking them is that more will always pop up, and more ways
to get around controles will too. Unless you have a situation where you
absolutely have to block, ie, you have users that won't listen to a kind
request, ie, school kids, your kids, management, I would not pick blocking as
a strategy, instead, tell them that the use of IM services is not allowed on
the network, and that infringement will be considered time not spent on
business activities, take it off their salaries, they'll stop trying right
away.

--
Willie Viljoen
Freelance IT Consultant