On Monday 28 May 2007 11:18:07 Vittorio De Martino wrote:
> On my newly bought HP pavillion 6366 notebook with freebsd 6.2 - p4 and one
> of the latest portsnap I have an nvidia go 7400 card, *** fully ***
> supported by the nvidia driver according to the docs.
>
> I followed the minimal configuration by nvidia-xconfig and just taiored the
> language for the keyboard....BUT
>   startx fails to load X and in the log file I find I find the below
> reported errors.
>
> Being a beginner I find myself somewhat disorientated by these errors that
> I couldn't find surfing the net.

> (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module! Please
> ensure (EE) NVIDIA(0):     that there is a supported NVIDIA GPU in this
> system, and (EE) NVIDIA(0):     that the NVIDIA device files have been
> created properly. (EE) NVIDIA(0):     Please consult the NVIDIA README for
> details.
> (EE) NVIDIA(0):  *** Aborting ***

Not too cryptic. Make sure that the nvidia kernel module is loaded and try
again. To verify, type "kldstat". If nvidia.ko is not listed, type "kldload
nvidia". To load it automatically on boot (which is the only way for it to
load successfully), add a line like this to /boot/loader.conf:

nvidia_load="YES"

Then reboot.

JN