I don't really think of entirely unnecessary (for most purposes) server
software as "standard utilities".  Speaking only for myself, I *have*
tried MacOS X (and used it in a professional capacity), and I too find it
to be "very little unix" with "lots of bulky overhead".  I also find it

to be clear. Apple had problems selling their new computers as their older OS was too fast.

and they need a marketing words to convince users to switch to new OS X, so they say about it being unix