Thanks for all your input. For now I am posting my rc.conf, but I will try
your suggestions this evening when I come back from work.

If anyone needs additional details, please ask and I'll repost my
initial cry for help.

Eugen

### Console options
keymap="us.iso"
font8x8="NO"
font8x14="NO"
font8x16="NO"
scrnmap="NO"
keyrate="fast"
cursor="blink"
blanktime="900"
saver="warp"

### Mouse daemon
mousechar_start="NO"
moused_enable="NO"
moused_flags=""
moused_port="/dev/sysmouse"
moused_type="auto"

### IPv6 options
ipv6_enable="NO"

ifconfig_dc0="DHCP"

### PF firewall
# pf_enable="YES"                                    # Enable PF (load
module if required)
# pf_flags=""                                              #
additional flags for pfctl startup
# pf_rules="/etc/pf.conf"                            # rules
definition file for pf
# pflog_enable="YES"                               # start pflogd(8)
# pflog_flags=""                                         # additional
flags for pflogd startup
# pflog_logfile="/var/log/pflog"                   # where pflogd
should store the logfile

###  Miscellaneous administrative options
kern_securelevel="-1"                               # range: -1..3 ;
`-1' is the most insecure
kern_securelevel_enable="NO"                # kernel security level
(see init(8)),
local_startup="/usr/local/etc/rc.d"
clear_tmp_enable="YES"                          # Clear /tmp at startup.
devfs_system_ruleset="devfsrules_local" # The name of a ruleset to apply to /dev
dmesg_enable="YES"                               # Save dmesg(8) to
/var/run/dmesg.boot
update_motd="YES"                                 # update version
info in /etc/motd (or NO)
virecover_enable="NO"                            # Perform
housekeeping for the vi(1) editor

usbd_enable="YES"
usbd_enable="YES"                                 # Run the usbd daemon.
usbd_flags=""                                           # Flags to
usbd (if enabled).

lpd_enable="YES"