Matthew Seaman wrote:

E. J. Cerejo wrote:
Running FBSD 6.3 and after updating the ports where icu was one of the
ports to be updated I'm getting the libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object
"libicui18n.so.36" not found, required by "evolution" error, I can see
that the new version of icu installed "libicui18n.so.38".  Is there a
better way to fix this or should I just symlink "libicui18n.so.38" to
"libicui18n.so.36"?

Nope.  Symlinking shlibs of different ABI versions together is the
wrong answer.  There's a reason the ABI version number was bumped,
and it indicates the new shlib is not compatible with the old one.

Formally, the correct fix is:

   # portupgrade -rf icu-\*

or the equivalent in whatever ports management software you prefer.

However this is pretty unfortunate as icu is a basic component that
a large number of packages depend upon.  Expect to spend a long time
compiling.

The port sysutils/bsdadminscripts installs a script called pkg_libchk that will list you all ports that /really/ need to be rebuild. Many of the ports depending on icu-\* do so indirectly by linking to a library that links to icu, thus it is sufficent to rebuild those directly linking ports. pkg_libchk checks for such direct dependencies and will list you the affected ports.