Chuck Swiger wrote:
On May 9, 2008, at 11:55 AM, DAve wrote:
For single-processor systems, FreeBSD 4.11 does very well at a lot of
tasks. However, Dave apparently has a 4-CPU system (~8 threads if he
enabled hyperthreading), and for real SMP hardware, more recent
versions of FreeBSD generally perform better than 4.x would.
Single CPU quad core.
ps -aux output is up, look under the FBSD dir. I also put up both
dmesg.boot files from the servers.
MailScanner is what is taking up all of the load; tuning that area is
where you need to focus.
Things which come to mind are trying to limit the max number of children
of that being run to something smaller, perhaps 8 or so. Yes, they
recommend running 5 * #CPUs, but they also think their instances are
going to be around 20MB in size, but yours are running at 100+ MB size.
You might find that running sa-update and sa-compile nightly might
improve your SpamAssassin performance; I've got a crontab setup which
runs the following nightly:
% cat /usr/local/bin/update-spamassassin
sa-update --allowplugins --gpgkey
saupdates.openprotect.com --channel updates.spamassassin.org
kill -HUP `cat /var/run/vscan/spamd.pid`
(If you aren't running spamd because MailScanner uses builtin interface
to SpamAssassin, comment out the last line. But do check the sa-compile
docs, you have to make a change for it to be used....)
I appologize I should have given more info.
We do run sa-update, and sa-compile. We also run 0 scores on most DNSBL
tests as we run those at the mta level along with milter-greylist,
milter-ahead, pipelining rejection, and greet pause. We have been
running a very trimmed down and fine tuned system for about two years
now with good results. I do think the upgrade to SA 3.2.4 is very heavy,
considerably more resource usage than 3.1.8 which we were running prior
to the OS upgrade.
I have not changed the settings for MailScanner from our previous
install with respect to number of children or to batch size. Previous
testing showed that 13 MS children with a batch size of 10 messages was
optimal. I can certainly give that a try. I will look at enabling
Hyperthreading as well.
I've also found this, which may be a clue to the suggestion that a
binary upgrade to 6.3 was a solution.
In 50 years, our descendants will look back on the early years
of the internet, and much like we now look back on men with
rockets on their back and feathers glued to their arms, marvel
that we had the intelligence to wipe the drool from our chins.
firstname.lastname@example.org mailing list
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"