but just run 100 different things and check how responsive machine is.

My experience is of dealing with servers where each machine typically has
a small number of important applications -- frequently only /one/ application

so why you need unix at all? :)

I can't speak to the model of needing to run hundreds of different

what is what i do. put everything on one server, only dividing things on many when one is unable to cope (very rare case).

applications on the same server -- about the closest thing I have to that
is my personal laptop (but only dozens of apps, rather than hundreds), and
other than being vaguely aware that it seems to be working adequately, I've

try as simple and stupid thing under load

cat /dev/zero >somefile (on big partition)

on 6.* and 7.* and compare both cases.

:)