On Thu May 29 2008 08:46:29 David Kelly wrote:
> On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 11:57:35PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> >     Several weeks ago a friend asked why my www.thought.org page
> >     was so hard to read.  She said that part of my text was black
> >     on the deep-blue bg on my RHS.  I stopped and checked with
> >     firefox; things looked fine.  I've done all markup by hand since
> >     '94, very carefully, with only browsers in the ports tree--
> >     mozilla, firefox, a couple others.
>
> Others have suggested online validators. /usr/ports/www/tidy is another
> that can check your code, even attempt repairs. Can also be used to
> standardize the coding format much like GNU indent for C code. Comes
> built-in to BBEdit on Mac where I do most of my HTML authoring.
>
> Eyeballing your code the first thing that stood out was:
>
>         BACKGROUND="/usr/local/www/data/Graphics/paper0.jpg"
>
> Don't think that will work for anyone other than yourself, and only when
> you are on the server itself. Unless one has a file with that exact same
> name and path.

Good one, thankee.  Using the bg graphic works on my jottings pages because I
gave a relative "./Graphics/foo.jpg" pointer.  Just checking now with Opera,
I still see the "www" page askew.  Blue-bar with most strings embedded within
it.  firefox [ and mozilla ] get it the way I want, opera and konq, nope.

tidy?  Sorry, must snce i've been wworking on other things, i've lost touch.