Jeremy Chadwick schrieb:

acd0: FAILURE - READ BIG MEDIUM ERROR asc=0x21 ascq=0x00
(asc=0x21 at this time FWIW).

This won't help you get FreeBSD installed any quicker, but it will give
you some insight to what the error messages mean.

ATAPI essentially uses SCSI commands but over an ATA bus, which is why
atapicam(4) exists (which is what's giving you the xpt_* errors).  The
problem is that not all drives are created equal, so some behave
differently to certain commands than others.

ASC and ASCQ are, in layman's terms, "error codes" with added degrees of
granularity.  ASC = Additional Sense Code, ASCQ = Additional Sense Code
Qualifier.  These are fairly well-documented all over the web, and per
T10 specifications.  Looking at a chart, specifically noting errors that
are for CD (MMC) devices, we find:

ASC 0x11, ASCQ 0x00 == Unrecovered Read Error
ASC 0x21, ASCQ 0x00 == Logical Block Address (LBA) Out of Range

Your first reaction will be "So does this mean I have a bad CD?", and
the answer is "not necessarily".  It could be that the drive does not
support the commands FreeBSD expects available to read a CD in this
particular fashion.  But it could also be a badly burned CD, or a
CD burned with buggy software.

If at all possible, try another CD drive of some kind.  Get one from a
friend, borrow one, or buy one.  People have had good experiences with
Plextor and Pioneer drives, while recent Samsung drives have been
hit-or-miss.

I'm now at home at a different burner but I probably don't have a different CD recording software other than cdrecord available. that's Windows XP BTW, under which I burnt that CDs. I could prbably boot an older (4.x) FreeBSD on that machine but that would be CD record, too. Medium is also a 80 min 700 MB CD. Weren't they 650 MB in earlier times actually? Earlier times I mean, when I still had my FreeBSD subscription and got each release in a neat CD set :-)

Oh well, I will give it another try and see how it works out.

Later

--
Christoph