This machine has an Intel motherboard and a hardware raid controller.
From what I can tell, there is some Intel software installed on the
machine that makes hardware faults visible to snmp.

That would require Net-SNMP to be linked to that software (or library)
directly.  Two things can't just "magically talk" to one another.  :-)

As I said, I really have no idea.

Now that I'm reading more deeply in the notes... the monitoring was supposed to be with IPMI. No idea what that is, either, but I thought I'd toss it into the mix.

AFAIK, Intel does not provide such software on FreeBSD, but I could be
complete wrong here. They primarily focus on Linux, like most companies
do.

That last sentence makes it sound like I know more than I do about this
situation. I'm just reading from notes. :-)

And I have an Intel disk that came with the motherboard that hints at
the same type of thing. I've just scanned the docs on the disk... looks
extraordinarily complicated.

I don't know what controller it is, but Net-SNMP doesn't have any sort
of out-of-the-box support for any kind of RAID card.  See above for
what's needed.

I just hope the card is an actual RAID card and not BIOS-level RAID like Intel MatrixRAID. If it is MatrixRAID, I highly recommend you back the
entire machine up and reinstall without MatrixRAID, otherwise when you
lose a disk or need to rebuild your array, you'll find your array
broken/gone, be completely unable to rebuild it, or kernel panics. Note
that all of this stuff works just fine on Linux; the issues listed are
with FreeBSD.

Generally speaking, we (the open-source world) have gotten to the point
with OS-based software RAID (e.g. Linux LVM, FreeBSD ccd/gvinum/ZFS,
OpenSolaris ZFS) where it offers significant advantages over hardware
RAID.  There are good reasons to use hardware RAID, but in those
scenarios admins should be looking at buying an actual filer, e.g.
Network Appliance.  Otherwise, for "simple" systems (even stuff like
2U or 3U boxes with many disks, e.g. a "low-cost filer"), stick with
some form of OS-based software RAID if possible.

That's good to know. I was told just the opposite by the guy selling the $650 RAID cards. Who'd have thunk?

The card in the box is a

Intel 18E PCI-Express x8 SAS/SATA2 Hardware ROMB RAID with 128MB Memory Module and 72 Hour Battery Backup Cache

$625 as shown on the packing list, so I hope it's a good one.

-- John