The card in the box is a

Intel 18E PCI-Express x8 SAS/SATA2 Hardware ROMB RAID with 128MB Memory
Module and 72 Hour Battery Backup Cache

$625 as shown on the packing list, so I hope it's a good one.

Ah, I think it's hardware RAID, and PCIe to boot.  Yes, I would
recommend keeping that!  What does it show up as under FreeBSD?  I'm
curious what driver it uses, and what your disks show up as (daX or adX;
probably daX).

H'mmm... You are revealing great gaps in my knowledge today, Jeremy. Not that that's hard to do...

I've been looking in dmesg.boot and fstab for clues... Not sure if that is where I should be looking, but I figured there would be mount messages in dmsg.boot. Unfortunately, there is a whole bunch of stuff in there I have no clue about. Fascinating reading, though!

Does mf0/mf1 sound correct?

If not, how would I find the driver info? Typical line in fstab:

/dev/mfid0s1a / ufs rw 1 1

-- John