Hi,

I'm trying to compile ptc.  Actually I'm trying to link against the Hermes
pixel conversion library.  With the following (ptc's configure creates this):

   char Hermes_ConverterInstance();

   int main() {
   Hermes_ConverterInstance()
   ; return 0; }

and the command-line:

   gcc test.c -o test -lHermes

I get:

   /usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot find -lHermes

Hermes is installed in /usr/local/lib (from ports).  The gcc/ld man pages and
various sources on the web seem to indicate that /usr/local/lib isn't searched
by default.  `ldconfig -r' shows hermes in its list, however.  Anyway man ld
says that "for a native linker on an ELF system, if the file /etc/ld.so.conf
exists, the list of directories found in that file" will be searched, so I
added /usr/local/lib to that file (and /usr/X11R6/lib for good measure) however
I still get the error.

Any pointers as to what I'm doing wrong?  Should this have gone to -newbies? :D

cheers
sam