So you boot a new kernel with old system?

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Bye
Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 9:40 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: 4.7 Upgrade issue

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 03:23:28PM +0100, Pierrick Brossin wrote:
> Quoting rew :
>
> > You must installkernel and reboot before you can installworld.
> > Read
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html
> > for more details.
> >
> > Daniel Bye
>
> Hi Daniel !
>
> I made/installed kernel and world quite a few times now and never, never,
> never reboot before installing world !
>
>  - make world
>  - install world
>  - make kernel
>  - install kernel

This looks like the old way of doing things.  The new way (buildworld,
buildkernel etc) is different, and you must boot the new kernel to safely
and reliably install the new world.

The instructions in the handbook are very explicit in this regard.  It is
the only supported method of updating your system from source, as it is the
only method that is tested.  While some variations work, they may create
unforeseen problems.

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3D73 AF47 D448 C5CA 88B4 0DCF 849C 1C33 3C48 2CDC
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \