On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 12:18:09PM -0400, Steve Bertrand wrote:
> madunix wrote:
> > Dear Experts,
> >
> > I want to know out of your experience people the following,
>
> > 1- How open source served your businesses  requirements?
>
> Our business would likely not exist if it weren't for Open Source
> (and/or free) software. Other than our Windows workstations, a few
> Windows servers, Cisco IOS and a few other specifics here-and-there, we
> are all open source.
>
> Everything is FreeBSD.
>
> > 2- What kind of application that running on Open Source?
>
> Pretty much everything:
>
> - routers (Quagga BGP, OSPF etc)
> - RADIUS
> - web servers
> - email servers
> - database servers
> - backup (AMANDA)
> - infrastructure config management (RANCID)
> - performance graphing (MRTG)
> - performance testing (iperf etc)
> - troubleshooting (tcpdump, wireshark etc)
> - traffic engineering (ipfw etc)
> - communications (firefox, thunderbird)
> - and hundreds more
>
> > 3- General experience with Open Source technology?
>
> Very, very good. I find though that the more you give, the more you get out.
>
> In our environment, things are very dynamic, and very custom. We can
> change software live-time to make it do what we need it to do. Being
> able to look into the source code makes it very easy to write custom
> applications that 'hook in' to existing ones.
>
> Steve

        Yes!  Like Glen (prev post), I occassionally look at the src to see
        how something was coded; this gave my own coding abilities a boost
        and didn't hurt the original code a whit.   Interesting how muvh we can
        learn from one another, isn't it?

        The only rationale I've heard for closed source is that somebody could
        steal the idea.  Or get a jump on creating a clone.  My experience has
        been that EVERY bit of commercial code could be open; people would
still
        want/need/demand/pay-for *support*.

        gary

--