There will always be both of them. And that's OK as long as you can choose.

Yes, I agree.

I use Windows as my workstation, because there are some specific
applications that require Windows to run.

You don't have to explain - you use because you want to :) that's all.

Being able to modify software to fit our ever changing environment is
key, and so is knowing that (for the most part), the ability is there to
communicate directly with the developers.

Another side-effect of using open source software is that over time, you
learn how things *really* work. For instance, if you have garnered up

But this is not because of open source. Some closed source too - allows you or even motivates to understand things. And some open source apps - try to prevent you from understanding anything.

It's depend of certain product, NOT only the fact of source availability.

Speaking of logging, open source applications do log...properly.

Depends of program. There are as much open source crap as closed source.