Lane Holcombe wrote:

>Here's what you do:  Setup for yourself a local cvs repository like so:
>
>portinstall -Pp net/cvsup-mirror
>
>You have to make decisions about what to mirror, but in the end you will
>have a semi-authoritative mirror of all the source and ports for the
>whole dang FreeBSD development tree, that will maintain itself and be
>ready when you need it.

It's good advice to make sure that you are using a base system and
ports tree that are up-to-date, or at least contemporaneous and from a
stable snapshot.  But it seems to me to be overkill to ask someone who
is having trouble installing ports to mirror the FreeBSD repository.
Snapshots downloaded per the instructions in the FreeBSD Handbook
ought to be enough for most people.

b.