Fred Boatwright <f...@blakemfg.com> wrote:

> Until FBSD X is working on the pc I have to use Netscape 4.79 on
> a Sun running Solaris 2.6 (which I would prefer to keep using if
> only a modern browser was available) ...

If the problems with X on FBSD are limited to the X "server"
(display subsystem), perhaps you can run X "clients" (such as a
recent version of FireFox) on the FBSD box with DISPLAY set to
the Solaris box.

The simplest way of doing this is to ssh into the FBSD box from an
xterm (or rxvt, or whatever) on the Solaris box.  Depending on how
ssh is set up you may (or may not) need to specify -X to get the
X protocol forwarded.  Forwarding will result in DISPLAY being set
to something like localhost:10.0 in the FBSD shell session, and it
should "just work."