On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 22:09:56 -0500, nw1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "nw1" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "peter lageotakes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2003 9:53 PM
Subject: Re: Overheating attributed to Freebsd --sysctl variables notavailable--

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 19:57:38 -0500, nw1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> What version of FreeBSD are you using?
>> Did you compile amp into the kernel?
>
> I think you're not understanding what I posted @
> http://69.3.136.141/freebsd/installation/sysctl_variables_missing
>
> The first line has what version I'm running. The entire document @
> http://69.3.136.141/freebsd/installation/sysctl_variables_missing
> implies; this was a
> running system with no serious issues; meaning; the sysctl items I'm
> speaking of were in
> fact available and working.
>
> If i can figure out how to make these sysctl variables available, I can
> set them like they
> were before, hence my overheating problem is solved.
>
> See what I mean?
>

>> --- nw1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > The problem can be viewed @:
>> >
>> http://69.3.136.141/freebsd/installation/sysctl_variables_missing
>> >
>> > Basically, the machine is overheating (I believe)
>> > because the cpu's aren't cycling down.
>> > Previously I was able to cycle the processors down
>> > with the following sysctl variables:
>> >
>> > machdep.apm_suspend_delay:
>> > machdep.apm_standby_delay:
>> >
>> > however, for some reason those variables currently,
>> > aren't any where to be found by the
>> > up_and_running system. Please use the hyperlink
>> > above for details.
>> >
>> > Thanks for reading. All feedback is welcome.

You may want to have a look at /usr/ports/sysutils/fvcool. (If you'd like
a script to run it on startup, Dr. Matthew Seaman posted one to the
mailing list some months ago - January?)

[Please don't top post - makes reading long threads more difficult.]

I'm interested in those missing sysctl variables I posted @
http://69.3.136.141/freebsd/installation/sysctl_variables_missing. Using a Third party
application/script to fix something that was natively working or under control, I don't
think, is the way to go and causes another level of complexity.

Wouldn't you think?

Ah - I thought you were interested in effectively and easily lowering your AMD CPU temperatures by 10-20 degrees Celsius, rather than in getting help searching for sysctl variables that had been more or less effective for you in the past.

BTW, if you wish to do "natively" what the fvcool "port" does, the technical documentation at fvcool's site goes some way toward explaining that.

Sorry, my mistake.

Jud