On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 19:01:00 -0500, nw1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[snip]
  "Why mother board vendors release their products with such BIOS
  settings?

What's the reason? <nothing here>

Not sure if this is what you were asking, but the reason is explained in the quoted lines just below:

Well, there is a reason: There is a possibility to get the system
unstable
and/or even to hang or crash the system."
[snip]

What I've understood from this particular posting is this:
the motherboards used for the AMD Athlon/Duron(s) have a default BIOS setting --not
allowing the processors to go into 'Power Saving Mode' --while intel based --default BIOS
settings: *do allow 'Power Saving Mode' for the processor(s). y/n?

I don't know enough to be able to tell you whether Intel-based mobos are configured by default to allow a "power saving mode," or if the fact that Intel CPUs run cooler (I remember reading a memorable description of the Athlon Thunderbird as a "blowtorch on the head of a pin") means "power saving mode" never becomes an issue.

That seems to be just a bit disturbing. If we could for the purposes of this paragraph
alone, suspend the notion of *over heating while idling*... As someone stated earlier in
the thread, what about these cpu's under heavy load within FreeBSD? <-- in our case,
without the air-conditioner on;--> will overheat and shutdown I have put these cpu's
under heavy load in a non FreeBSD environment and the hardware refuses to break down,
overheat or shutdown

-- Unsuspend the notion of *over heating while idling*... --

Should we turn our air-conditioner off and set:
machdep.apm_suspend_delay: 1
machdep.apm_standby_delay: 1
and let this dual AMD idle, the machine will overheat and shutdown in a matter of hours.
Once the room is at a tempurature warm enough to make the machine shutdown, the only way
to keep that machine on for more than five (5) to Twenty (20) minutes is to turn the
air-conditioner on and leave it on.

Should we turn our air-conditioner off and set: machdep.apm_suspend_delay: 0 machdep.apm_standby_delay: 0

Run a script to loop:
make buildworld && make buildkernel KERNCONF=<MY_KERN>
The machine seems to run like a champ without overheating/shutting down.

SUMMARY:

I hear all of what you're saying here, however, if we leave apm out of this altogether,
whether inTel, AMD or any other processor, shouldn't the processor(s), dual or not, be
able to run full-throttle or, idle without overheating/ shutting down?

Yes, but: Let's say for some reason (e.g., heat conducting cement/paste interface not quite so nicely done on this particular unit) that this unit runs hot in the first place. I don't know if the Other OS is tuned to the CPU, or has hooks into low-level functions in the CPU, or the CPU is tuned by the manufacturer to the Other OS, so that it remains just *this* side of shutdown with the Other OS, and goes just *that* side of shutdown with FreeBSD. (We're way beyond my level of knowledge here, so if any of this really is correct I just got lucky.:)

Jud