On Jan 13, 2004, at 4:45 AM, Vahric MUHTARYAN wrote:

Hi ,

You have to use FreeBSD 4.9, because you can see in freebsd web page
prodcution version is 4.9. and please test it maybe you will see you can not
install 5.2 on your hardware because when I try to install 5.1 on my intel
platform I faced a problem then now I'm using 4.9 . Everybody will say that
wait until more tested version and now its 4.9

Which begs the question. Will FBSD 5 ever be deemed worthy for production use? Over the last year it was said in this list: 5.1 is still a testing version not recommended for production, but 5.2 will be better suited for production.

I intend to transition a less used production server from 4.7 to 5.2 sometime in the next month, and we'll see how it goes. There are certain things I would like from 5...

Chad

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of David Meier
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 1:19 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How "safe" is 5.2 to use?

Hello list,

I am relatively new to the world of FreeBSD. But first, congrats to the
new release! I am somewhat insecure on how trustfully I can use the new
release for my intended use (and I hope my questions haven't been posted a
zillion times before). Therefore I hope the FreeBSD nuts can advise me
whether to go for 4.9 or 5.2.