On Mar 23, 2004, at 8:41 PM, Chuck Swiger wrote:

Drew Tomlinson wrote:
I'm using 4.9-RELEASE. Is is possible to upgrade Perl from the default 5.005 version to 5.8.2?

Yes.

Are there any steps required beyond installing the port?

Try:

cd /usr/ports/lang/perl5.8
make install
use.perl port

I also had to re-install some of my ports after installing the new Perl and switching the system perl to the newer version (4.9-release-p3). Otherwise I saw failures when I restarted Perl applications...

Dunno if a reboot would have fixed it, but I noticed that when I did a make deinstall, make clean, then make install of the ports that acted up, part of the messages mentioned the newer version of PERL :-)

Just a note in case you run into the problems I did...maybe I did something wrong in the process, but this worked amid the rising feeling of panic :-)