On 3/24/2004 8:18 AM Joshua Lokken wrote:

* Bart Silverstrim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2004-03-24 07:35]:

On Mar 23, 2004, at 8:41 PM, Chuck Swiger wrote:

Drew Tomlinson wrote:

I'm using 4.9-RELEASE. Is is possible to upgrade Perl from the default 5.005 version to 5.8.2?

Yes.

Are there any steps required beyond installing the port?

Try:

cd /usr/ports/lang/perl5.8
make install
use.perl port

I also had to re-install some of my ports after installing the new Perl and switching the system perl to the newer version (4.9-release-p3).

If you install sysutils/portupgrade, you can do (after
installing the new Perl)

# portupgrade -rf perl

I tried this (adding the 'n') to see what portupgrade would find. All it found was 'perl5.8', yet I have webmin, spamassassin, and various other things that use perl (AFAIK). I changed the line to:

portupgrade -rRf 'p5*'

and if found lots of things. It might be overkill but it should get everything that needs rebuilding, correct?

Thanks for your help.

Drew