Thanks for you time.

Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:

[ it would be nice if you would reply in the same thread and wrap to 72
chars ]

On Mon, 10 May 2004 13:17:43 +0930
"Jeffrey P. Toth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Thanks Ion-Mihai,

Well that is the problem. I cannot find any problems other than when I
try to open an http: on the box, or on one of the other computers on
the network, it fails and has the network error:

Making HTTP connection to www.any-site-on-the-box.com
Sending HTTP request
HTTP request sent; waiting for response.
Alert! Unexpected network read error; connection aborted.
Can't Access 'http://www.any-site-on-the-box.com'
Alert! Unable to access document.

fetch -vvv http://www.any-site-on-the-box.com/ output please

I can ping all machines and do a traceroute without problem.

Good.

The server is online and working I just cannot seem to figure out why
I cannot use http on the box and suspect that is the same reason the
other computers on the network cannot access any of the sites on the
FreeBSD machine without causing a freeze up.

So you cannot access any web page *from* that box either on that box and away ? Please be clear. And when you try to access a page _on_ the box it freezes ? Maybe you have a firewall in between somewhere somehow ? If you're machine is freezing the you have to dig *this* problem. Did you played with sysctl or kernel settings ? Does ftp from or to the box work ? How much RAM do you have ? Did you disable swap ? Do the logs say anything ?

I cannot acces any page on the FreeBSD box from the box itself or from any computer on the newtowrk. I can access all other websites outside of the network.

After I attempt to access a page on the FreeBSD box from the box or one of the other computers on the netowork, at timeout the router freezes and goes offline. A power reboot fixes till the next time I try to access via http or ftp.

If I connect up my XP computer through my dial up account removing it from the router, then I am on different network and I have no problem accessing any of the sites or ftp'ing into the box.

I have not done anything with sysctl or kernel settings

FTP works from outside the box but not from within the network.

I have 256 Megs opf RAM

Disable Swap?

Looking in the logs httpd-error.log , httpd-access.log, debug.log, ftpd, dmesg.today, security, and messages I find nothing about any errors relating to the problem. In fact I don't even get a log where it tried to access the box in httpd-access.log

Is this what you mean by not putting the text ontop and far as I can tell the setting says the message is wrapped 72 characters. did it work this time?

Thanks for all,

Jeff

Do I need to add all the websites to the hosts file?

Only if you what to access the by name locally and they are Name Based on apache in which case you have to add them to the hosts of all your computers or setup a dns server.

Or the static IP of the box, xxx.xxx.xxx.150?

No.

Or maybe add the IP of the router?

No.

The host file contains these items as setup:
127.0.0.1       localhost       localhost.name-of box.com
203.122.142.24  name-of-box.com.

Replace name-of-box with the actual name of the box.

Seems OK.