On 2004-05-12 17:35, Jan Christian Meyer wrote:
> > MYKERNEL is name of the custom kernel. If you want to build a new
> > kernel, you must give it some name, for example MYKERNEL.
snip
> Just to add a little something for flavor, I've found it useful to
> keep my config file elsewhere and use a symbolic link from
> /usr/src/sys/i386/conf, i.e.
snip
> # cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
> # ln -s /root/kernel-config/MYKERNEL

FWIW, I keep my kernel configs outside of /usr/src too.

    diomedes> ls -ld CELERON
    lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  31 May 14  2003 CELERON -> /local/sys/CELERON
    diomedes> _

> Thus, editing, config and compilation works perfectly by the book, but
> if I feel like it, I can nuke /usr/src/sys entirely [...]

... which I promptly went ahead and did once.  Only to discover I had
also nuked my "precious" (sic) kernel config.  That made me think of
ways to avoid the same silliness in the future.  The symlink was,
naturally, the first thought that I came up with :-)

- Giorgos