Thanks for all the help. I like the changes so far. What about specifically mentioning in the Handbook chapter that when a user runs the command
crontab crontab
the user should do this in their own home directory. My problem was I ran it in the /etc directory, not knowing any better, probably becuase that bit wasn't mentioned in the Handbook, or if I recall correctly, even the FAQ. The Handbook text states
"Let us take a look at the /etc/crontab file (the system crontab):"
Followed by the section on the user crontab and the warning paragraph, but no mention of doing this in the user directory, not /etc.

So, now I am trying to run -
crontab crontab
in my non-root user directory, as the non-root user, and it fails with this-
"crontab: crontab: No such file or directory"
I tried -
crontab -u chip crontab -e (with and without the -e)
also and it failed with the same message. So I then su'd and tried again and got the same message again. The I tried -
/etc/crontab -u chip crontab (with and without the -e)
and get permission denied, as root.
I am running 5.1-Release, and a standard default install.
Regards,
Chip

Bill Moran wrote:
David Fleck wrote:

If you already have a file written in the proper format, you can load it
as your crontab by specifying 'crontab {filename}'. (That's what section
6.6.1 in the handbook is trying to say.  Unfortunately, it is not at all
clear on this.)

There was an outstanding PR on this ... I made a few additions, and I think
the handbook will explain this much better now.  Sounds like a committer is
going to get this into the tree within the next few days.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=docs%2F66963