On Jun 29, 2004, at 2:02 PM, Bill Moran wrote:
I'm having some really weird problems with ftp performance on FreeBSD 4.10
that I just can't seem to figure out.

My uplink here maxes out at about 35k/sec. If I scp to the machine in question
I get about 30k/sec (which is expected) but when I ftp, I never get anything
better than 15k/sec, and occasionally as low as 8k/sec.
[ ... ]
I tried running the ftp daemon that ships with FreeBSD, as well as Proftpd and
they both exhibit the same performance issues.

I haven't seen any signs of such problems with 4.10. Given that you've reproduced this using different FTP servers, it seems more likely to be a network issue or some hardware glitch (cables? flaky NIC?) than a software issue.

Have you asked your ISP about the issue?
Can you reproduce by moving ftp to a different port #? (Perhaps some quality-of-service thingy is providing different bandwidth by port...)
Does passive versus active FTP make a difference?
Anything interesting in 'netstat -s'?

--
-Chuck