JJB wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I am trying to install freebsd 4.9 on my new dell 8400.

I believe 4.9 can not use a sata drive as target to install on. 4.9 is the old stable release 4.10 is the new stable release. Turn off pnp support and ms/windows support in your pc bios. Your pc is newer than what FreeBSD has added support for. Try installing to a standard ATA HD.

Sigh! I tried with 4.10 as well and that also fails. Sadly I don't have a spare IDE / drive lying about. I guess I'll have to wait on freebsd or install one of the more advanced Linux OSes
--
Robin Becker